Monday, December 5, 2011

Advice from the Other Side

Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

My father passed away 2 1/2 years ago.  We were very close and his death came too early.  I felt heartache like I've never felt before.  My grandmother, his mother, passed away the year before.  I was also very close to her.  I miss them so much.  My other grandmother, my mom's mom, was an angry woman who wasn't exactly the typical warm and fuzzy grandmother.  She passed away ten years ago from a brain tumor.  I loved her, but just didn't bond with her. 

A month after my father died, I reconnected with an old childhood friend, David, on Face Book.  We have been dating since then.  Now here's the dream:  I was walking into a community pool area.  I walked through a gate and was greeted by my mom's mom, Nana.  She hugged me wasn't angry anymore.  I felt a lot of love coming from her.  I thought to myself, "This is who Nana really is."

Then I was greeted by my MamMaw.  She hugged me and we "talked," but it was telepathically.  The understanding of this "talking" was more of a feeling. 

My father was there too.  He was sitting on a lounge chair.  We didn't hug or anything, but I remember thinking, "That's Dad!  Just chilling out."  I had one question for them all and it was, "What do you think about David?"  They all "said" yes, as if they all approved.  And that was it.  That was the end of the dream. 

Do you believe loved ones who have passed can visit us in our dreams?  What do you make of this dream?

 Signed,

Missing My Loved Ones



Dear Missing,

Thanks for sharing your dream with me!  Having the background makes understanding much faster and easier.

Regular readers of SMYD will know the name of Carl Jung, a renowned psychologist.  He theorized that all human spirit or psyche is connected in what he calls the "collective unconscious."  There we can access each other and make meaningful connections on levels not always possible in waking consciousness.

 Your dream seems to allude to this possibility, first of all with the "community pool."  What a great metaphor for collective unconscious:  a pool accessible to the community of spirit/mind/unconscious energy.

So yes, I do believe that dreams such as yours can be understood literally.  You had the beautiful and reaffirming experience of connecting with your loved ones at the community pool!  The communications you engaged in with them can be taken at face value:  Nana has released her anger and expresses her love for you (finally); your MamMaw still feels close and expresses her love with a hug; your Dad is happy and chilling out, just as you remember him.  And maybe most affirming:  They all agree that David's a good guy.  Lovely.

Now, there are less "far out" ways to look at your dream, for anyone who's uncomfortable with what I've just said.  But, the bottom line would be the same:  Those parts of your loved ones still alive in you confirm what you want to know:  David is a "yes."

 Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

SMYD



No comments:

Post a Comment