Monday, December 12, 2011

Wolf in Sherpa's Clothing

Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,
I had an emotionally abusive marriage and acrimonious divorce more than twenty years ago.  I feel certain that my association with such a destructive and controlling man kept me from flourishing for too many years.  I have not dreamed about my ex-husband even once since then.  I have been grateful for this because I don’t want to relive such painful memories.  Once free of his negative and discouraging influence, I built a happy and successful life.  So I was completely dismayed to wake up this morning from a dream in which my ex-husband played a prominent role!
My dream:  I was in a long, narrow restaurant with two rows of single file tables and an aisle down the middle.  The restaurant was diner-like, casual with windows on the right.  I was in a hurry....in a rush to sit down, but I couldn't find an empty chair.  Then I saw my ex-husband just standing right in the middle of the aisle.  He was dressed in outdoor hiking gear with a funny, Asian hat on his head.  He looked like one of those guides in the Himalayas!  But he just stood there in the middle of the aisle, looking off to the side and I know he didn't see me.  
This dream has me feeling extremely anxious!  Please don’t tell me I’m going to run into him!
Signed,
Do NOT Want to See My Ex!

Dear Do NOT,
Our Dreaming Selves have a knack for choosing perfect images, packed with meaning and emotion.  Dream images are often filled with passionate feelings and are surely worth the proverbial 1000 words.  It makes them hard to ignore, and you should not ignore this one.  It employs a powerful combination of a familiar and dreaded person with novel, unmistakable clothing.
By dressing such a despicable person in such benign and even appealing garb, your dream suggests you must consider someone (or something) in your waking life with extreme caution.  On first sight, you might trust him, even seek his guidance.  He looks like a Sherpa, after all. 
But you have encountered a “wolf (symbolized by your ex, a very bad guy) in Sherpa’s clothing,” and he’s blocking your path.  This person may be especially deceptive as he cloaks himself in the guise of someone you can rely upon, someone who will guide you.  He appears to be unconcerned with you as he looks to the side, but do not let your guard down.  He can easily throw off his disguise and show his true self. 
Does this dream image mean you‘re likely to run into your ex?  No.  But if you do, you can be sure he is unchanged no matter how he may present himself to you.  More likely your dream chose him to represent a person or circumstance in your current waking life that you cannot and should not trust.  Do not be fooled by his outer appearance!
Beware Dear Dreamer!  And Sweeter Dreams to you, next time!
SMYD
sendmeyourdreams@mail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment