Monday, November 21, 2011

Drat! Passed Over Again!


Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

I am a very good employee, always on time, and my work is accurate and reliable.  I never cause problems for my boss.  I just follow directions without making a big deal of it.

I’ve been upset and disappointed several times because when it’s time for raises and promotions at my work, I am passed over.  It just happened again.

I went to sleep in this upset state of mind, and dreamed that I was standing in the middle of my office just looking around at all the workstations.  Each of them was very colorful, with flowers, photos, and nice new flat screen TV’s playing with lots of action on the screens. 

When I looked at my workstation, it was small and actually in black and white!  It looked like something out of the past!  Even the volume on the tiny black and white TV was turned down so low you could hardly hear it.  People were hustling around me like I wasn’t even there!  My boss walked right past me without even saying, “Hello.”  It’s so unfair!

What do you make of this dream?

Signed,

Deserves a Raise

Dear Deserves,

You are probably right --- you may deserve a raise.  You’re the perfect employee who does what he’s told without question.  And, you do it reliably, accurately, and right on schedule.  You seem to be exactly what every boss professes to want.

Why then are you in this predicament of working hard with no reward or recognition?

The way you describe what happened before this dream is an almost perfect implementation of incubating a dream:  You reviewed all the things that are bothering you in some detail.  You thought about your feelings at the injustice you perceive at work.  In essence, you even posed an incubation question:  Why was I passed over again?

Your Dreaming Self offered up a fine descriptor of what is happening at your workplace:  Everyone is bustling about, also doing their work, but in contrast to you, with color and flair.  Every workstation displayed a new TV sporting new technology and vivid color.  The action was audible and visible. 

In comparison, your workstation is stuck in the past.  The technology isn’t “classic,” but old and out-of-date.  Who would choose to look at it with all the other colorful and modern equipment so effective and easily accessible?  Even your boss barely notices you!

Perhaps it is unfair, but your Dreaming Self paints this graphic picture of a drab you in a vibrant workplace.  Maybe it’s time for you to consider up dating your appearance and your approach to work.  You don’t say so, but you could be clinging to the way you’ve always done things, when newer, more modern methods are now considered better.

Your volume is too low in the dream, indicating that your soft-spoken “do what’s expected” approach may be a part of the disservice you feel.  Speak up for yourself, Dear Dreamer!  Be sure you truly are competitive with the fast-paced workplace around you.  Your rewards will come soon enough.

Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

SMYD



No comments:

Post a Comment