Monday, September 12, 2011

Too Smart for His Own Good


Our Dreamer Writes:
Dear SMYD,
This doesn’t seem like the first time I’ve had this dream.
I dreamed that my co-worker Mary was taking me to a Mensa meeting, you know, where all the geniuses get together. 
When we got there, the meeting seemed to have no purpose.  The members were socializing, but not much more.  I felt frustrated at the waste of time.  I challenged them to define a purpose for their meeting.
I don’t usually hang out with Mary, though I like her well enough.  I see her as working unnecessarily hard, redoing every detail until it’s perfect.  She endangers her mental health.  She has lost her sense of humor and happiness. 
Signed,

Smarter Than Mensa? 

Dear Smarter,
Like it or not, Dear Dreamer, your Dreaming Self may be using your friend Mary as a perfect representation of you!  Think about it:  are you sometimes a perfectionist, and a worrier?  Sometimes a perfectionist becomes a complainer, too.  You may recognize some of Mary’s traits in your own personality!  Be honest with yourself.
Now Mary likely represents the positive side taken to the extreme, that part of you that is intelligent, and always seeking improvement.  But your Dreaming Self says bluntly, there’s no point in being smart (the pointless Mensa meeting) if you lose your mental health, happiness, and sense of humor.
The fact that the Mensa meeting had no purpose is telling.  If you put your brains to a purpose, you can do great things.  But pointless fussing over imperfect minutia is worse than pointless; it’s self-destructive. 
Lighten up a bit, Dear Dreamer!  Enjoy life and your considerable gifts.  Help others to do the same.
Sweet Dreams!
SMYD

sendmeyourdreams@mail.com               


No comments:

Post a Comment