Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Horse in the Refrigerator!

Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

I had a jumble of dreams with only one thing that stands out well enough to remember, and it’s the same dream I’ve had so many times! 

There’s a vivid image of a broken down nag of a horse standing and looking into my refrigerator!  It makes me mad to see him there, so I kick him in the rear, thinking I’ll get him to move.  But when I do this, he falls head first into the fridge.  Then he turns around and comes out just the way you’d expect a horse to come out of a fridge - clumsy, awkward and making a big mess.  He just stood there and looked at me.  I knew he was hungry. 

Then he gave me a beautiful, expensive ring!  I loved it, but knew I couldn’t afford it.  I was afraid to take it off though, because I knew then I would have to pay the price!

I have some weird dreams, but this might be the weirdest!  Why do you suppose it keeps coming back?

Signed,

Amused and Confused



Dear Amused,

The weird and incongruous images in our dreams are rich in metaphor.  Just as you say, they can be amusing even while they’re confusing.  But think for a moment about a “broken down nag of a horse.”  If you saw one in a pasture, you might say he’s past his prime.  He’s unable to run and play, enjoy life or perform the duties he was meant to do.  It’s a sad sight.  But not if he’s in your kitchen doing the things a nag does – eating and complaining.  I’m guessing this reminds you of someone you know.  Someone you support!

When you attempt to motivate him with a swift kick in the butt, he just gets worse.  He turns around and comes right back and makes a big mess in the process.  You’ve been through this before.  It probably feels very familiar.

And it’s likely that this drain on your resources has distracted you more than once with impressive gifts that you wound up paying for.  Why else would your dreaming self be concerned with the expense of the ‘gift’? 

You say whatever the price is, you’ll have to pay it when you take off the ring.  Maybe that’s why you have repeated this scenario so many times in your waking life!  You feel frustration and anger, but when it comes to removing the ring, you hesitate.  After all, you love it/him.  And you seem to feel a bit of guilt as well in your dream when you waiver saying you could tell the horse was hungry.

Many a person is caught up in repetitive, self-defeating circumstances in the name of love, Dear Dreamer.  Your dream suggests you must decide whether to continue repeating the drama as it plays out; or, to take off the ring and break the spell.  Both scenarios have their price, the least of which is a recurring dream.

Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

SMYD

No comments:

Post a Comment