Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Stuck with a Tattoo!

Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

This dream came in full color and was quite striking, but I am puzzled as to what it might mean: 

In my dream I can’t find work, so I am getting a tattoo on my arm.  It’s one of those advertising tattoos and I’m going to be paid for displaying it.  It’s an elaborate tattoo with moving images and it’s going to cover a lot of my arm.  It will take more than one session to complete. 

During the process, I begin to realize that I don’t want this tattoo.  The woman tells me that I won’t be paid just for “wearing” the tattoo; I must also sell the products I’m advertising.  I didn’t know that going in, and I don’t want to do that. 

I don’t know where to start with this dream since I’m not unemployed in real life.  (I am Trapped in a job I’d like to get out of, though.) 

I’d never get a tattoo either!  What if I change my mind later?  So that part makes some sense.  But this dream seems weird to me.  What do you think?

Signed,

Stuck with a Tattoo



Dear Stuck,

When looking for clues as to where to start with a dream, it can be helpful to go first to the most powerful or emotion-laden image.  In this dream, it’s that big, colorful, advertising tattoo.  The tattoo offers a rich image with the depth of moving images within! 

Gayle Delaney, Ph.D., co-founder of the International Association for the Study of Dreams says once you’ve selected an image, try explaining it or defining it as though you were speaking to a child, or a Martian – someone who asks ‘what’s a tattoo?’ because they really don’t know. 

In such a conversation you might say, “A tattoo is a permanent decoration created by putting ink under a person’s skin making indelible patterns and pictures.  I’d never get one because I don’t like to be locked into a situation with no way out.”

Ah!  Now an idea emerges.   In your dream, you seem to have been tricked into getting something permanent.  Perhaps you committed too soon since you weren’t given the full details of the arrangement.   Does this ring a bell?  Your dream suggest it’s about your job – the one you say you’re “trapped” in and would like to get out of.  Do you feel like you were misled when you accepted that job?

Noted dream researcher Jeremy Taylor, Ph.D., says our dreams don’t tell us what we already know.  I agree, but would add that they often call things to our attention that we overlook or deny in our waking lives.  Maybe for the sake of peace in the workplace you’ve overlooked the fact that you feel duped into taking the job.  Or, perhaps you’ve denied your tendency to commit too soon.

That’s why it’s important to go on to the next step and ask the question the dream poses:  How do you reverse what seems irreversible?

Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

SMYD

No comments:

Post a Comment