Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dear Dream, Am I a rat?



Our dreams help us see the true nature of things we may have mischaracterized in our waking lives.  Sometimes a beautiful mirage is revealed for the desert behind it.  Or, as in today’s dream, something we think is unsavory may be shown to be sweet instead.

Dear SMYD,

I’m in love!  And it’s just like everyone said it would be – it came when I least expected it.  I had almost given up when I met this great guy, “Phil.”  We’ve had a whirlwind type relationship and everything is going so well.  I couldn’t be happier, except for one thing:  I have started to feel guilty about my women friends in the book club I started four years ago.  I hardly ever talk to them except to say I’m not coming to the meeting again because I’m going somewhere else with Phil.  They always say it’s no big deal, but I wonder if I’m being a bad friend.  My family even teases me about how involved I am with Phil.

I was worrying about all this as I fell asleep last night and had this dream:  I was carrying a box, like a shoebox, with a rat in it.  I wanted to keep the lid on it.  But for some reason I opened the box and it wasn’t a rat at all.  I was expecting to be afraid and repulsed by the rat.  But it was a cute little mouse instead.  Not scary or dirty at all.  In fact, when I reached to pick him up and  really focused my eyes, it was a gerbil.  It was brown and white and very sweet.  I was very relieved and happy.  I let it out to play.

Signed,

Scared of the Rat

Dear Scared,

Congratulations!  Falling in love is hard to beat!  And you sound like the kind of person who deserves happiness.  You also seem to be the extremely thoughtful kind of person who is acutely conscious of other’s feelings and well being.

This would account for the fact that in your dream, you think you’re carrying around a rat.  You want to keep the lid on your fears because a rat is the perfect metaphor for betrayal.  Rats turn their backs and rats abandon ship.  That’s what you were worrying about:  Have I abandoned my friends?  Am I a rat to my family?

But when you open the box you find that no, there is no rat.  It’s a sweet little mouse.  Adorable, harmless and even attractive.  You reach out to this little mouse who wouldn't hurt anyone, and lo and behold, even better, it’s a gerbil.

That’s you, Dear Dreamer:  A sweet and lovable person who would never hurt her friends or family.  If they’re teasing you, it’s because they’re happy for you. 

It’s perfect that in your dream you let the gerbil out to play.  No one has been slighted or hurt.  Your friends understand your new circumstance and wish you well.  Relax and enjoy your new life.


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment