Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Dreamer's father knows best

Houses in our dreams may represent our states of mind or our perceptions of those we encounter.  Exterior and interior attributes of the house, as well as the dreamer’s emotional reaction to it offer tips to the meaning.   Today’s dream demonstrates this clearly as a forbidding house offers some pleasant surprises.



Dear Carolyn,

I’ve been divorced for several years and have enjoyed my single life.  But I have to admit, it can be lonely at times.  My family says if I’m not careful, I’m going to wind up spending my old age alone.  They say I make snap decisions about the men I meet.  I admit to being particular about the men I date.  I’ve learned enough over time that it’s pretty easy to size someone up and know if he’s worth my time.  

I dreamed that my dad and I were driving around in a van, looking at one bedroom apartments for me.  We stopped in front of an apartment that was actually a one bedroom house with a yard and a fence.  It looked kind of forbidding, but for some reason, my dad wanted me to consider moving into this house.

The house sat very close to an old wire fence.  The house was pretty old too and dark.  It was in the neighborhood where I live now, but the fence looked too old-style for the area and out of place. 

I went around to the back and was surprised to see a bright, sunny yard with green grass that needed to be mowed.  Someone was there to show me around and again, to my surprise, the interior of the house was clean and bright with shiny hardwood floors, a large kitchen and dining room.  Wow, I thought.  I didn’t expect it to be so nice on the inside!

Signed,

House Shopping with Dad

Dear House Shopper,

Your dream presents some interesting possibilities for your consideration.  First of all, you are driving around with your dad.  This implies perhaps that you operate with his outlook on things, or since he’s in the driver’s seat in your dream, that you might consider looking at things from his viewpoint.

Sure enough, he takes you to a place you might not ordinarily consider.  You make a quick assessment of the place as forbidding based on the “curb appeal” of the house, much like you say you size up a potential date.  But when you give the place a second chance, when you look past “de-fences,” you find a bright, sunny, attractive and appealing place.  You had a lovely, pleasant surprise.

Is there someone in your vicinity who seems forbidding, Dear Dreamer?  If he sits close to his defenses like the house in your dream, he may scare you away.  It’s not uncommon for a person who’s been hurt to protect himself with a gruff exterior.  Your dream suggests he’s worth a second look.  And so does your dad.  He wouldn’t steer you wrong, would he?

Sweet Dreams to You!

Was this article helpful?  Receive email alerts when new dream articles from Carolyn are available!  Just click on the “Follow” button above!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment