Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dream takes blinders off the dreamer

Our dreams have a helicopter’s perspective.  They can show us things that are hard to see from the ground level when we’re in the middle of the action.  In just this way, today’s dream offers another angle on a misunderstanding between long-term friends:

Dear SMYD,

My best friend “Jenny” and I have been “besties” since we were 13 years old!  We have shared everything and never been in a fight over anything.  We even said we would never let a boy come between us and she dated two of my boyfriends after I broke up with them.  It didn’t bother me at all! 

But now, it’s different.  We had a fight about my current boyfriend “John” because she kept coming on to him.  When I told her to stop, she denied it.  She said I was crazy and insecure.  I want to believe her that it’s all in my mind because I really like this guy and I do feel a little insecure about him.

Then I dreamed that Jenny shot my brother and she wanted me to help her with her cover up story.  I did get involved helping her cover it up, but as we went along it got harder and harder to do and less and less believable.  We went from things like, “I didn’t know the gun was loaded,” to “It was self-defense,” to “I was confused and it was an accident.”  I was starting to pull away from all this when I saw the shooting re-enacted.  She shot him in the back in cold blood!  Then she just rolled her eyes and acted like it was no big deal!

Signed,

Caught in the Middle

Dear Caught,

Your dream offers you some unpleasant news on a couple of fronts:  First, Jenny shot your brother.  Your dream starts with that as a given.  In waking life, you don’t want to believe that she made a move on your boyfriend, but there are few metaphors clearer than being shot in the back! 

Your dream replays your unwillingness to see the facts in two ways:  It shows she shot your brother, not you, but you are the injured party.  And it includes your initial agreement to help Jenny cover up her crime, pretend it never happened.  Even though you’re skeptical, you go along with her excuses until the truth is replayed before your eyes.  Perhaps this will happen in your waking life too, Dear Dreamer.  You may have to see it again, right in front of your eyes, to believe it.

Your dream puts your suspicions and your true feelings on the front burner.  In the end, it shows Jenny as dismissive of you and of the harm done to your friendship.

However, it is worth considering that Jenny may be afraid you will choose this boy over her, and she’ll lose you forever.  Perhaps she’s sabotaging unconsciously.  You’ve been friends a long time, Dear Dreamer.  Can you have a serious boyfriend and a best girlfriend too?


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment