Monday, March 5, 2012

Seeing the World through Mom's Eyes

Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

I dreamed I was wearing my mom’s contact lenses.  They weren’t really right for me; the prescription didn’t match my needs.  But it seemed to be all I had, so I wore them day after day.  I was frustrated and confused when I was driving to work since it was hard to see the road signs clearly.  Oncoming traffic appeared suddenly and scared me.  I had to react quickly so I was jerking back and forth across the road.  Once I was going the wrong way on an onramp and had to swerve to avoid an accident.  But I felt determined to do my job, so I kept going.

Then, I was at a dinner table with people I couldn’t see very well.  I remember thinking, “Are these my friends?”  I kept rubbing my eyes hoping to clear away the blur, but it didn’t make much difference.  Then I woke up.

My mom died quite a few years ago, so I don’t understand this confusing dream!

Signed,

Can’t See My Way



Dear Can’t See,

It’s always helpful to consider the setting of your dreams as a context for parallels to your waking life.  Your dream puts you in several situations and tells you plainly that you are not seeing things clearly, yet you press on determined to follow through in spite of the dangers.  If driving is an analogy to moving through life, your dream tells you bluntly that the way you’re seeing things, your approach or attitude, is not helping you. 

Further, your dream suggests that your “mother’s way of looking at things,” an outdated or cynical approach, perhaps, may be contributing to the problems you encounter.  You are, after all, looking at these situations through her lenses, her perspective.  This could be speaking to long held beliefs that need to be re-examined in light of the changing world around you.  Even though on one level your Dreaming Self knows that her “prescription” is not right for you, in your dream you seem to shrug your shoulders and accept the problems caused by the outdated way of looking at things.  You keep wearing those lenses day after day.

Your dream has you driving erratically to work, soldiering on in spite of the dangerous situation your poor vision creates.  If you’re similarly frustrated and confused at work, consider examining your viewpoint.  Does it reflect an attitude that is disharmonious with your boss or co-workers?  Are you missing important road signs, and even going the wrong way?  If you cannot tell who your friends are, as is true in your dream, you may have isolated yourself without intending to do so.  

Time to stand up Dear Dreamer and take care of yourself.  Talk with a counselor or a trusted friend and examine your mindset to be sure it’s the one that will help you see your way to success.

Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

SMYD

No comments:

Post a Comment