Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Spiders in my dreams!

Sometimes the best place to start with understanding a dream is with its most vibrant image.  The spiders are the starting place in today’s dream, hands down!

Dear Carolyn,

I’ve had two dreams, back-to-back, about spiders!

First, I am looking for a place to live.  I am walking past a house but I see a spider web so I walk up the walk to see it better.  This is an enormous web - bigger than the doorway - and there are a lot of spiders.  The spiders are big too, about the size of a dinner plate and their eyes are so big.  I can see them watching me.  The web is very beautiful and intricate.  I do not fear the spiders; in fact I can sense they are afraid of me, so I don't want to stay because I am scaring them.  So, I walk off looking for a house that’s available.

Then last night’s dream:

I cannot remember how I got the spider, but I am trying to keep it in a Tupperware container.  Again, a big spider.  It is beige looking and has a hard body like an orb spider - or like a crab I guess - but is a spider.  I am at "school" and I am putting different material in the box to make the spider comfy.  I put some rocks in and then I am worried that they might hurt him.  So I am taking them out and putting other materials in there.  The spider keeps trying to get away; and I do not want him to get away.  I have no fear of the spider, just trying to make it comfortable and I just carry the box around school.

Signed,

Spiders in My Dreams!

Dear Spiders,
Your dreams seem to be speaking about a protective barrier represented by the spiders.  

In the first dream, contrary to many people’ reactions, you are drawn to the barrier established by the spiders’ web, calling it beautiful and intricate.  You even take steps to avoid disturbing the spiders, keeping the barrier in place.  You say you’re scaring them, but the fear of crossing that threshold is yours, Dear Dreamer! 

The spider barrier is that part of you that watches carefully, maybe not threatening, but nevertheless, restrictive and uninviting.  The spiders, like you, watch anyone approaching their door cautiously, even suspiciously.  Dear Dreamer, that caution and suspicion render the house (and you) unavailable. 

In the second dream, you carry around a spider, pampering it, trying to make it comfortable, worrying that it will escape.  But it wants to escape, suggesting you'd like to let it go.

On one hand you'd like to keep up the barrier, but that means living with hard things ~ the rocks~ (a hard heart?  a hard exterior?).  But on the other hand you have the fear of releasing the protection you think you need. 

It’s set in a school Dear Dreamer.  What have you learned from nurturing this defensive obstacle?

Sweet Dreams to You!


Was this article helpful?  Receive email alerts when new dream articles from Carolyn are available!  Just click on the “Subscribe” button above!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment