Monday, October 3, 2011

Too Late to Adopt


Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

I'm not thinking of adopting a child, but I dreamed I was with my old college roommate “Katie,” who was a good friend but whom I feel now puts her career ahead of people.  She had a wonderful job and showed me the new office she was hoping for - much larger and better.

She had a special needs child who her roommate helped with.  Katie’s hands were full.  The roommate was neglectful.  Somehow I ended up with daughter and I could tell Katie wanted me to be responsible for her.

The baby needed food and cleaning.  I gathered scraps, mushed them up and the child ate.  She grew from newborn to a few years to a talking youngster.  It’s rewarding.

I decide to adopt this girl.  I’m pleased with my decision, but Katie just wants to give the girl to me.  Katie is mad that I don’t trust her and just take the child without legal papers.  I think Katie will take her back when she’s ten and not so needy of parenting, at least the food and diapering and the like.

I hadn’t thought of taking a child or this child.  When I see she needs help, I help out of kindness; but when I see it working and how much she needs it (and by the way, I don’t see why she’s considered special needs), I feel myself starting to bond.

Signed,

Will I Be an Adoptive Parent?

Dear Adoptive,

Your dream plays with a role that you have taken on, or are considering taking on, perhaps one that you have let diminish in your life.

Your dream has you visiting an old roommate, and says that her roommate (you) helped her with a child (a task or project, work of some kind), but put other things first and the child languished.  You were her college roommate; her roommate was neglectful of the child; she wants you to pick up those responsibilities.

It’s possible that your Dreaming Self is showing you a part of yourself in Katie.  Did you embody Katie’s more positive qualities “back in the day”?  Could it be that now you too often put work ahead of people?  Hard questions to ponder.

In addition, your dream suggests you have taken on (or are considering taking on) a task you weren’t expecting (the child - pun intended), maybe something you neglected before.  This could be something that you worked on in the past, but set aside in favor of other priorities.

You seem surprised at your success, and with the rewards of the work.  You don’t now see why you   considered it to be a difficult job, one requiring extra work or sacrifice, a “special needs case.”  Your minimal efforts at mushing scraps together yield positive results.

To your delight, you begin to bond with the work/task, and want to make it yours legitimately – an informal adoption will not do for you. 

You don’t want to be like Katie (your old self) who puts career before people.  Your dream suggests you’re a bit fearful that your old Katie-like self will reclaim your “baby” after you’ve worked hard, bonded, and felt the rewards.  You want to make the commitment to make this new “baby” yours.

Best of luck in your endeavors, Dear Dreamer!  And Sweet Dreams to you!

SMYD

sendmeyourdreams@mail.com               

No comments:

Post a Comment