Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Your dreams are all you!


Your Dreaming Self has hundreds and even thousands of people to choose from when selecting the cast of characters for your dreams.  But s/he picks certain individuals because they fulfill the requirements of the story you need to be told.  It’s no accident that a neighbor you haven’t thought of in years appears in your dream instead of the good friend you see every day, or visa versa.  Today’s dream offers a good example.

Dear SMYD,

I know you always say that we dream about particular people for a reason, and I think it’s true.  But this dream still bothers me, and I can’t understand why these women came across the way they did. 

I dreamed about two different people that I know.  One of them, “Brenda,” I know from school.  She kind of acts tough, but is really a marshmallow.  I found this out about her once when I saw her being pushy and another person stood up to her.  She nearly collapsed!  She cried and practically ran away!

The other one, “Jackie,” lives in my neighborhood.  She is strong, athletic, blonde and confident.  She is smart and people listen to her.  She seems to get her way without even trying.  People just do what she wants and feel good about it!

In my dream, I was at work and Brenda was sitting at my desk.  Then Jackie walked up and I introduced these two women to each other.  Suddenly I thought that they were lesbians (I don’t think they are) and maybe they would “like” each other.  Sure enough, Brenda got all shy and Jackie started to flirt a little bit.  I thought to myself it was probably a good thing I introduced them to each other.

What does it mean that in my dream they’re lesbians?

Signed,
Straight Woman 

Dear Straight,
The background information you offered about each woman and the setting for your dream provide keys to understanding how it applies to you.
Think about the traits each woman portrays:  Brenda is a little bit of a bully, bluffing her way through things until someone calls her bluff.  Then she turns in fear and runs.  Jackie on the other hand, comes across as friendly and smart.  Her easy confidence carries every situation, putting people at ease, garnering their trust.  People want to follow her lead.
Most likely, Dear Dreamer, you will recognize these as your own traits.  Sometimes at work you try to push your way through, bluffing when you’re unsure of yourself or your position.  Your dream suggests that you might want to make the acquaintance of your more confident self.  Bring her to the forefront.  You’re smart and personable.  Those are the traits that will propel you into leadership roles.
A little self-love is called for by the concept of lesbianism.  Learn to acknowledge and appreciate both parts of yourself.  When you find yourself feeling unsure, take note.   It’s OK to say, “I don’t know.”  Let your confident self show the scaredy-cat how to interact when challenges arise.

Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment