Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dreamer lets "Earl" keep her down


We do dream for others on occasion.  So, if you’ve had a dream that might be helpful for someone in it to know about, by all means, share it!  At the same time, chances are excellent that another layer of meaning from that dream will emerge for the dreamer as well.  Today’s dream is a good example.

Dear Carolyn,

There’s a girl at my school (“Pam”) that everyone tells me I look like.  I wish!  She’s cute and petite and she’s a cheerleader and even a class officer.  I won’t say I’m a nobody, but I am not as popular or well-known as she is.  I mostly just go about my business without being the center of attention.  I’m not exactly shy, but I just stay in the background.  I have a lot of classes with Pam again this year.  Now I’ve even dreamed about her!

In my dream this guy named Earl is bothering Pam.  He kind of hovers over her and tries to scare her.  He’s a lot bigger than she is and mean.  (I knew Earl in middle school and he was a total jerk.  He lied all the time and stole from everyone.  People hated him but tolerated him because they were afraid of him.)  So the dream just repeats itself where she hunkers down and just waits for him to do his thing.  He finally just quits and goes away, then she stands up and it starts all over again.  It’s weird because she’s smiling all the time!  She smiles even when she’s walking all bent over.

Signed,

Sorry for Pam

 

Dear Sorry,

It could be that Pam’s having a problem with a bully.  Even if she’s not, she might enjoy hearing about your dream.  After all she’s the star, right?

Or, more likely, you are the star of your dream, represented by Pam, the girl who looks like you and symbolizes the things you could accomplish.  Even if you deny that you look like Pam, could it be that in the back of your mind you have some things in common with her?  Perhaps you have kept yourself out of the spotlight unnecessarily.  Maybe you have traits, talents and skills that could put you in the forefront.  This is not to say that you would be just like Pam, but that like her, you could be a leader in your own realm.

Perhaps you have your own “Earl,” Dear Dreamer.  Chances are, Earl represents a part of yourself that lies to you and steals opportunities and experiences from you.  Have you passed up a chance to do something new?  Did you turn away from the prospect of leadership?  Earl hovers over you and prevents you from standing up straight and taking your rightful place among your peers.  When you listen to his negative self-talk, you limit yourself.  And why?  You’re not afraid of him.

Keep smiling and stand up to your inner bully!  You are a rising star!

Sweet Dreams to You!

Was this article helpful?  Receive email alerts when new dream articles from Carolyn are available!  Just click on the “Subscribe” button above!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment