Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Am I dreaming right now?


Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

In my waking life I'm fine with my achievements.  I’m not lacking in self-confidence, and gosh darn it, I like myself.

Then, just a few days into my new job, I had a dream in which a large white owl outlined the highlights of my past on a huge blackboard.  The chalkboard had an elaborate diagram drawn or, perhaps, painted with thick white chalk.  It had the painterly quality of Vincent van Gogh's "Starry Night."  (I've loved that image for decades.)

The owl pointed out that although I've held many jobs in a number of fields, my tenure in these various positions typically short.  He presented a case that I was a job hopper at best and a fraud at worst.  Yes, he seemed to say, you've done so many things, but where is the depth?

The image of the owl in the dream was very, very much like a cartoon figure who was telling me exactly what was what, the way an old-fashioned teacher would give a lecture.  

There was a lucid quality inasmuch I felt frustrated during the dream because I pride myself on my achievements and do not wish to lack confidence.

How can I change my dreams into scenes where I relax and enjoy my new job? 

Signed,

Frustrated with My Dreams

 

Dear Frustrated,

It seems you’re working on your self-confidence and appreciation of your own accomplishments.  This is suggested in two ways:  First, you begin by stating that you’re “not lacking in self-confidence,” but conclude with a declaration that you “do not wish to lack confidence.” 

In addition, the owl, the cartoon of an old-fashioned teacher, the kind who lacks credibility in modern classrooms, lectures you about your shortcomings while referring to a diagram of your life’s work that looks like a masterpiece!  Perhaps this dichotomy reflects an internal dialogue in which, on occasion, you must persuade yourself of the value of the path you’ve taken.

You mention feeling lucid in your dream – having the experience of knowing you’re dreaming while in your dream.  This can be most helpful in achieving the goal of changing your dreams into more relaxing scenes that bring enjoyment of your waking life.  Once lucid, a dreamer can interact with the elements of a dream and even influence the events.  These are powerful tools! 

Cultivation of lucid dreaming takes practice but as an experienced dreamer you can begin with a Reality Check:  Randomly throughout your day, ask yourself: “Am I dreaming right now?”  Don’t ask by rote, knowing the answer is ‘no.’ Pay attention to how you know.  Soon the distinction will spill into your dreaming experience.  The answer will then be ‘yes,’ and you’re on your way to creating a dream experience that supports your waking goals!

For details on how to proceed, read Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Dreams and In Your Life by Stephen LaBerge, a pioneer in the field. 

Sweet Dreams to You, Dear Dreamer!

No comments:

Post a Comment