Wednesday, October 17, 2012

You can run, but...


Our Dreamer Writes:

Dear SMYD,

I like my friend “Grace” very much.  She doesn’t pull any punches!  She is an older, divorced woman, having been married for 29 years.  Once I asked her why she was divorced after such a long marriage.  She said she just got tired of paying for everything!  Grace went on to say that she had never seen a man like her husband change; once the pattern was set, it was set.  Well, this really struck a chord with me since I’m in a similar marriage.  My husband hasn’t worked at any steady job since we married three years ago.  He has a lot of potential, but never seems to make good on his plans or promises.  I love him, but feel pretty frustrated and worried about our life together.

Now I’ve had a dream with Grace in it.  I was with a group of people who insisted that I “read” the future in a crystal ball.  I didn’t want to, but after a lot of persuasion, I gave in.  I sat with a young girl who said she didn’t believe in crystal balls.  I demanded that the lights be dimmed and the loud music turned down.  My friend Grace sat right in front of me.  I was supposed to read for her.  I wanted Grace to sit still and cover up, but she refused.  At that, I got mad and stood up, saying, “Forget it!  I won’t ‘see’ for you if you won’t cooperate!”

Please help me understand this dream!

Signed,

Reluctant Crystal Ball Reader

 

Dear Reluctant Reader,

Robert Gongloff, past President of the International Association for the Study ofDreams, offers an effective strategy for getting to the heart of a dream:  Restate the dream’s action in terms other than those used in the dream.  For example, in your dream, we might restate your reluctance to read the future in the crystal ball as “Someone doesn’t want to see what’s in front of her.” 

To repeat the strategy with other elements of your dream:  You want the lights dimmed as “Someone prefers to be in the dark.”  You must have the music turned down as “Someone doesn’t want to face the music.”  You insist that Grace cover up as “Someone wants to obscure what’s right in front of her.”

In your dream, Grace serves as the crystal ball you don’t want to “read.”  You seem  to deny the future that sits there in the form of your friend who had 29 years of an unsatisfactory arrangement - an arrangement uncomfortably like your own.

You sit with a young girl who doesn’t believe, you insist on darkness and refuse to face the music playing so loudly.  All these actions add up to denial of the obvious, Dear Dreamer.  It’s possible to delay acknowledging what you clearly know on a subconscious level.  But you cannot avoid the inevitable.  You cannot unlearn what your heart, and your dream, are telling you!

Sweet Dreams to You!

SMYD

No comments:

Post a Comment