Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Dream interpretation - Do it like Joan Baez did



Famous people who appear in our dreams may represent an ideal that we aspire to in our waking lives.  Look for the salient qualities of that celebrity with an understanding that those may be what you strive for in yourself.  This can open a window into your dream’s meaning.  Today’s dreamer offers an example in which an icon seems to be taunting her about the strength of her convictions.

Dear Carolyn,

Years ago I took a lot of flak for some statements I made at work.  My ideas were out of the mainstream and challenged the comfort of those (including my superiors) who followed the time worn traditions there.  Ultimately, I lost my job over it.  I went on to publish a book that included my controversial views.  It was well-received in my arena and important people told me to speak out to a wider audience, but the exigencies of life and the sting of being ‘let go’ held me back.

I associate that time in my life with Joan Baez and her music.  I always admired her for the strength of her voice, her integrity and her bravery in the causes she supported. 

Now I have been thinking about publishing again.  I still have passion behind my views, but I find that I am considering material that might be less controversial. 

So my last dream of the morning has me buying a book from Joan Baez.  She asks to see some of my writing.  After seeing several samples, she says I am not a threat to her, so I should go ahead and publish my work. It felt odd.

I woke up thinking, hmmm.  Not sure if this is a sign to publish again or not.

Signed,

Fan of Joan Baez

Dear Fan,

You say that you admire Joan Baez for her voice, her integrity and her bravery.  For you, she represents that part of yourself that will speak her truth without fear of the controversy it might cause. 

In your dream, when she – that brave part of yourself – looks over the material you are thinking of publishing, she almost scoffs at it by saying, “This is no threat to me; go ahead and publish.”  You are essentially dismissed, free to publish the less controversial material without taking on her role of outspoken advocate.

In effect, she tells you that you will be safe and protected from the sting of your last experience of speaking out.  But will a watered-down version of your vision satisfy your need to speak the truth as she did?  After all, her strong voice is one of the things you hold in high regard.

There is no shame in taking the safer route, Dear Dreamer.  However, you must weigh the consequences to your own integrity.  If you publish a meeker version of your truth, what is the effect on you?  Will you be satisfied with a book that shrinks from its mission and challenges no one?

Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment