Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dream Interpretation: Pay attention in class



Learn Dream Interpretation by working with your own dreams and the dreams of others!  Join me for one, two or three sessions:  http://www.meetup.com/Benicia-Dreamwork-Meetup/

Location plays a big role in the meaning of dreams.  Not only is it helpful to consider the setting where your dream takes place, but also note the placement of objects and people within the dream.  Today’s dreamer finds herself positioned to block the view of others in her dream.  This is important for getting at the meaning.

Dear Carolyn,

My parents don’t like my new boyfriend, “John” justbecause he’s older than me.  But so what?  My dad is older than my mom!  I am a good girl.  I make good grades and don’t get into a lot of trouble, but sometimes they make me so mad!

I dreamed this dream last night after they yelled at me for coming home late:  John and I are in a classroom.  He’s like the teacher and I am lying across his desk at the front of the room facing him.  We are talking and the rest of the class is behind me.  We’re having fun, but the rest of the class starts acting out because they are excluded from our conversation.  My mom and dad are there and so is my brother.  Even my friends are jumping around trying to interrupt us.  I wish they would just shut up and leave us alone, but John stands up to look at them.  When I look again, he’s back in the class with the others.

Signed,

In Love with John



Dear In Love,

The setting and location of people and objects in your dream give clues to its meaning for you.  First of all, note that you are in a classroom, a place of learning.  This suggests that you need to pay close attention to the lessons coming your way, even if you do not want to hear them. 

John is in the position of teacher.  This indicates the role you have assigned him in your waking life – or perhaps he has assigned himself to the job of teaching you.  This could be what concerns your parents when it comes to their daughter dating an older man.  They must wonder what he will teach you?  Are you mature enough to determine what an appropriate lesson might be from someone with more life experience?

In your dream, you lie seductively in front of your new teacher with your back turned to your family and friends.  This implies that at the moment, you are listening only to John and excluding others who care for you.  They may be yelling, as you mentioned, trying to get your attention away from someone who is not good for you at this time.  At one point, even John himself joins the others, suggesting he knows their point of view may be better for you.

Slow down and consider the advice of all those who love you, Dear Dreamer, not just the older man with whom you are enamored.


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment